What Is an SR-22?
An SR-22 is a Certificate of Financial Responsibility form. It is a certificate provided by an auto insurance company that verifies you have at least state minimum liability limits. While many refer to “SR-22 insurance” an SR-22 is actually just a certificate that your insurance company files for you. An SR-22 is not a substitute for auto insurance. It is just evidence that you have an insurance policy. If at any time your insurance cancels, they will notify the DMV and your license will be suspended. Basically, it verifies you have coverage. You only need an SR-22 if a judge says you do, this can happen after certain violations or after a succession of them.
Who Needs an SR-22?
If you need an SR-22, it will likely be because of a court order. High-risk drivers may have to obtain an SR-22 with respect to incidents including, but not limited to:
- DUI or DWI
- Repeated reckless driving
- Multiple at-fault accidents or infractions
- Driving or being involved in an accident without insurance
A court will determine if you should be allowed to have your license reinstated and under what restrictions. As a part of this, an SR-22 may be required. In certain circumstances, the SR-22 allows drivers to continue to drive legally, although they may have a restricted license.
How long do I need to carry an SR-22?
The duration of an SR-22 obligation varies by state and the nature of the underlying traffic offense(s). In some states, this duration may be as short as one year or as long as five. Generally speaking, a typical SR-22 period lasts 3 years for your first offense.
How much does an SR-22 cost?
An SR-22 usually only costs $15-$25 to file the certificate. However your rates will most likely increase from the reason it is required, such as a DUI, accident, violation(s) or now being considered a high risk driver.
How do I obtain an SR-22?
- If you are not currently insured with Beacon Insurance Group, you’ll need to start by obtaining a Free Quote or call 216-282-0780.
- Input SR-22 for the promotional code.
- After we receive the quote, we will verify all the information is correct and also shop it out to different companies for you, to insure the best price because not all carriers are included in the rater.
- We will then reach out to you with the lowest rates.
- After you complete your purchase we will begin the process of filing the certificate on your behalf.
The content in this post can change at any time. It is important to contact us before making any financial decisions based on the information above.